Milk shakes, Prosecco, fruit ciders and beers hardly begins the list of ways to utilise home-made cordials…
A perfectly versatile drink…mix it with gin or vodka to make as gifts!
1) Gently wash your fruit and place into a large saucepan along with the water and whichever acid your’e using.
2) Bring slowly up to a simmering point and once you see the fruit starting to burst, gently mash it down using a potato masher.
3) Continue simmering on low heat with the lid off for around 20 minutes until the fruit is very pulpy and the mixture has begun to reduce.
4) Place a sieve over a large bowl and carefully pour the fruit pulp into the strainer. Cover with a cloth and allow to drain overnight.
5) The next morning, gently press to release any remaining juice and discard the pulp.
6) Pout the juice into a clean pot, add the sugar and stir constantly over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
7) Pour immediately into warm sterile bottles, seal and store in the refrigerator.