Perfect home-made jam ready in just under 10 minutes!
Home-made jam is one of the most rewarding things to make, and because it lasts so long, you can get to enjoy it each time you pop some in the toaster. Ladled into Kilner Jars it makes for ideal gifts too!
400g jam sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1) Heat the raspberries very gently in a saucepan until the berries begin to burst.
2) To help break up, mash with a potato masher and then stir in the sugar, lemon zest and juice.
3) Continue heating until the sugar dissolves.
4) At this point, you can choose to add some vanilla if you like.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil and boil vigorously for at least 6 minutes.
6) To test for its setting quality, remove a teaspoonful and drop onto a plate and set in the fridge for a few minutes. it should wrinkle when pushed with your finger.
7) Once it’s at this stage, ladle into sterilised jars, close the lids and store to cool.
8) In properly sterilised jars, this rich jam will preserve your summer flavours for up to 12 months.