A scrumptious, comforting treat
This raspberry cobbler packs both a rich fruity punch underneath a deliciously comforting scone top. It’s as easy as apple pie!
500g AVA raspberries
4 tbsps sugar
2 tbsps ground almonds (optional) to thicken and add flavour
Otherwise, 2 tsps cornflour slaked in approx. 2-3 tbsps water to make a milky paste.
For speed and ease, use two packets of ready-to-use scone dough and follow pack instructions (pre-packed scone dough will give you great results).
225g/8oz self-raising flour
1) To a 10″ pie dish, or medium-sized rectangular lasagne dish, add the raspberries, sugar and almonds or cornflour paste and mix thoroughly.
2) If using pre-packed scone mix, follow the instructions to make the dough and go to step 5. Otherwise, mix the flour and salt by hand and rub in the butter until the chunks of butter have disappeared.
3) Stir in the sugar and milk to get a soft dough.
4) Now lightly knead to about 0.5″/1.5cm and cut with a 5cm cutter to make the scones, kneading the remaining dough back together to use it all up.
5) Place the scones on top of the fruit, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
6) Bake at 180 degrees/ Gas mark 4 for 20 minutes until the scones are golden brown.
7) Serve with crème fraiche, ice-cream, custard or for complete indulgent luxury, clotted cream.