Serve with a griddled steak and salad, break some bread and let these shiny jewels show themselves in a substantial summer salad
½ onion, very finely chopped
1 glass rich red wine
½ beef stock cube dissolved in a cup of hot water
A handful of blackberries
2 tbsps blackberry jam
50g or 2-3 tbsps butter
1) Brush very little oil around a heavy-based pan, and heat until searing hot and smoking.
2) Whilst the skillet is heating, dab the steaks with kitchen paper to make sure they are nice and dry, and the season generously with salt and pepper.
3) Lay the steaks into the pan and cook for around 3-4 minutes on each side, or until you see a nice crust forming.
4) Set the steaks aside on a plate and cover with foil to rest, which will ensure you enjoy your steaks at their juiciest.
5) Reduce the heat and saute the chopped onion for a couple of minutes before adding the wine. Feel free to add chopped thyme or rosemary at this point. Use the liquid to dislodge any tasty burnt bots that have stuck to the bottom of the pan.
6) Reduce this by half then add the beef stock, blackberries and the blackberry jam.
7) Continue cooking until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat, add the cold butter and adjust for salt and pepper if needed.