Rather than cutting the bread into triangles, lemon curd sandwiches have been made then cut into cubes and scattered into the dish with a generous sprinkling of blueberries for an easy comforting winter pudding.
- Serves 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Standing time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 150g (5oz) blueberries
- 3 eggs
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
- 150ml (1/4 pint) double cream
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- 25g (1oz) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas Mark 4. Spread half the bread slices with lemon curd then cover with the remaining slices. Trim off the crusts then cut each sandwich into 8 cubes. Add to a buttered shallow ovenproof dish that is about 1.2 litre (2 pints) and scatter with the blueberries.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and cream with the sugar then pour over the bread and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with the melted butter and sprinkle with a little extra sugar and bake for 30-35 minutes until the bread is golden and the custard just set. Scoop into bowls and serve warm with a drizzle of cream.