Makes a fresh tasting lunch or a generous starter.
Serves 2 Prep time 15 minutes plus marinating time Cook time 5 minutes
- 250g skinless chicken breast
- 2tsp olive oil
- mixed salad leaves
For the spiced pickled raspberries:
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 1 star anise
- 4 peppercorns
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1tbsp sugar
- 100g raspberries
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
For the sour dough croutes:
- 100g sour dough preferably a day old
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1tbsp olive oil
- For the pickles, warm the vinegar in a small pan with the star anise, peppercorns, fennel, chilli and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly. Add the raspberries, radishes and onion and leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes (can be as long as overnight) until you can see the ingredients changing and turning the vinegar pink.
- For the croutes, preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6. Slice the sourdough and rub the cut side of the garlic over the bread and then cut it into cubes. Drizzle with the olive oil, toss to mix and then bake in the oven for 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and pan-fry with hot oil for 3-4 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Divide the leaves between plates, add the halloumi, spoon over the pickles and top with the croutons.
You can make the pickles and the croutons the day before if you want to a fast throw together lunch.