Need to detox after all those Christmas festivities? This light salad is just what you need. For a healthy packed lunch, cook the quinoa and toast the nuts and seeds the night before, then add the berries and salad leaves in the morning.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 10-12 minutes
- 900ml (11/2 pint) vegetable stock
- 225g (8oz) quinoa
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or rice bran oil
- 4 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4cm (11/2 inch) piece root ginger, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper
50g (2oz) spinach leaves
50g (2oz) shredded kale
175g (6oz) raspberries
100g (4oz) blueberries
- Add the vegetable stock to a saucepan and bring to the boil, add the quinoa and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the grains are just beginning to separate. Drain off most of the stock to leave just enough to keep the grains moist.
- Meanwhile, heat the sunflower or rice bran oil in a frying pan, add the almonds and sunflower seeds and fry over a medium heat until just beginning to brown. Take off the heat and stir in the soy sauce. Leave to cool.
- Add the sesame oil, ginger and agave syrup to the quinoa, season with pepper and transfer to a salad bowl or plastic container if chilling overnight.
- Add the spinach and kale leaves, raspberries and blueberries and gently toss together then sprinkle with the toasted almonds and sunflower seeds.