- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 mackerel, heads removed, cleaned, about 200 g (7 oz) each
- Little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g (7 oz) couscous
- 150 g (5 oz) chilled cooked beetroot in natural juices, drained, diced
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) boiling water
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 150 g (5 oz) fresh raspberries
- Small bunch fresh parsley or a mix of parsley and mint, roughly chopped
- Lemon wedges, crusty bread or toasted pitas to serve, optional
- Rinse the fish inside and out with cold water, drain well then slash the flesh on each side two or three times with a knife. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and place on a grill rack. Cook under a preheated grill for 10 minutes, turning once until the skin is golden and the fish flakes easily when pressed with a knife.
- Meanwhile, add the couscous and beetroot to a bowl with a little salt and pepper. Pour over the boiling water and cover the bowl with a plate and leave to soak for five minutes.
- Add the lemon rind and juice and oil to the couscous and fluff up with a fork, sprinkle over the onion and raspberries and toss together lightly. Spoon on to plates and top with the mackerel and sprinkle with the chopped herbs. Serve with lemon wedges and warm crusty bread or toasted pitas, if liked.