The perfect dessert to accompany an afternoon of Wimbledon viewing.
55g caster sugar, plus extra to finish
180g plain flour
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick.
- Cut into rounds or fingers and place onto a baking tray. Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Strawberry and mint salsa
500g punnet of AVA™ strawberries
1tbsp icing sugar
5 mint leaves
- Split the AVA™ strawberries in to three different piles, saving the biggest ones for the garnish.
- Take one third of the AVA™ strawberries and heat them with the icing sugar untill completely broken down. Pass through a sieve into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Take the next pile of AVA™ strawberries and dice into roughly half a centimeter cubes, don’t worry about being too precise.
- Mix with the sauce which should have cooled down a bit by now.
- Roughly chop the mint and add to the mixture.
2.5 sheets gelatin
400ml double cream
60g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
- Add the sheets of gelatin to a bowl of cold water and soak for five minutes.
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan with the sugar and vanilla seeds (to scrape the seeds out of the pod, use the back of a knife).
- Stir to combine and bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Take the gelatine out of the cold water and squeeze out the excess, then add to the milk mixture.
- Stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour into four glasses and place in the fridge to set for at least a couple of hours.
- To serve, spoon on some of the salsa garnish with some shortbread and a halved strawberry